Over the last two years, I decided to grow my hair out to donate to the Locks of Love Organization. Locks of Love is an organization that is devoted to helping every child suffering from medical hair loss. Most recipients are financially disadvantaged children, ages 21 and under, who suffer from long-term medical hair loss from a variety of causes. Many children who suffer from hair loss develop a low self-esteem in which keeps them from participating in normal childhood activities. Unlike adults, children are unable to use most wigs sold by retailers because they are either made to fit adults or are much too big for children to wear. In honor, Farmingdale Physical Therapy West will donate the August donations form “Casual Fridays For A Cause” to the Locks of Love Organization. If you are looking to donate your hair to locks of love, you must follow these guidelines…
Guidelines For Acceptable Donations
- Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable.
- Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable. If unsure, ask your stylist. We are not able to accept bleached hair due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the manufacturing process. **If the hair was bleached years ago and has completely grown out it is fine to donate.
- Hair that is swept off of the floor is not usable because it is not bundled in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that is shaved off and not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. If shaving your head, first divide hair into multiple ponytails to cut off.
- We cannot accept dreadlocks. Our manufacturer is not able to use them in our children’s hairpieces. We also cannot accept wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.
- Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches.
- Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails.
- Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.
- Shorter hair will be separated from the ponytails and sold to offset the manufacturing costs. Although the shorter hair cannot be used in the hairpieces, it still greatly helps to reduce costs.
- Gray hair will be accepted and sold to offset the manufacturing costs.
- Colored hair is not usable if it is colored over bleached hair.
- Because Locks of Love creates custom hairpieces for each child, we are unable to accept donations of wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.
Here is the link to Locks of Love’s website where you can find their Hair Donation Form